Tuesday 1 June 2010

DAS collection

If you follow my other blog, PDF, you've read about my current exploration of my Arab roots the only way I can at the moment - through the web. I've rediscovered music from the Arab world I absolutely LOVE, and more relevantly, blogs from my favorite place to visit-- The Arabian Gulf. My current obsession proves to be more fruitful everyday as I uncover treasures from the Arab world I've never been introduced to. I could not ignore the talent of two Emarati ladies who've created gorgeous collection after another of Abayas. By far my favorites yet!




Gorgeous design duo Hind and Reem Beljafla are the creators and designers of DAS, a collection whose framework is outlined on their website. I honestly feel that their mission statement, although particular to the DAS collection, also represents the modern, fashion conscious woman in hijab. We wear it for many reasons, however for myself particularly it's a reflection of my identity as a muslim woman. In my previous post I described the longlasting impression Oman has had on me, but I'd also like to add that I was also greatly impressed with Oman's ability to stay true to it's traditions and  history as well as keeping up with modernity. As one who studies fashion, I can tell designers of DAS have a good eye for it, but balance this everchanging and fast paced realm with that of tradition and history, feeding to women who want to charge ahead in the direction of the fashion realm as well as hold true to their roots and traditions. The DAS website reads:


"Today the Abaya has transformed in many ways, especially when it comes to the introduction of colour. It is however still imperative that it remains a conservative garment worn by women as part of the traditional attire but nowadays more suited to highlight individuality, elegance and comfort.
"DAS was built on the foundations of national culture and identity to create pieces that reflect the wearers roots yet align them with the direction that fashion is taking in this century on a global scale. "

No comments:

Post a Comment