Wednesday 25 June 2008

For the Sister on a Budget!!

Oh! a budget! The horrible word! It definatly limits us from buying whatever we want -- but it does NOT limit us from looking good and being the hijabifashionistas that we are.




Do I have a budget? OH YES! Do I have a wardrobe that I love? OH YES!


you may be wondering, How in the worlddddd??


Sisters, it's taken me a while to master it, but here are my hijabifashionista tips for a sister on a budget:




--> Instead of buying many cheap tops (quality and money wise), Save your money for that one top.. if you save and buy, then save and buy, in a few months you'll have a drawer full of quality top -- because quality is better than quantity. ALSO NOTE: You may not believe in the quality vs quantity theory because it's what your mother always told you, but she's right you know! Walking down the street, people can see the quality in your outfit.




--> DO NOT go shopping with your father :D hahahaaaa




--> Those gifts your grandmother gives you? Unless you're going to her house, don't wear them! (unless either she's fashionable, or you can make anything work -- which is a skill, not a body type!)




--> Go to the mall when there are sales! BUT! This is a big BUT by the way... Don't just buy a lot of shirts just because they're on sale ( this is something I am quite guilty of ). Go to the mall or to that store knowing your max price for either one top, or a max price for that day's budget. For example, one day I'll go to the store telling myself that I will only buy tops around five dollars! FIVE DOLLARS! that's it.. and I got a whole lot of stuff. Wanna know how I do? hehe this is how,


- I walk into a store doing a little de-tour of the mall, pretending that I'm looking at the forty dollar tops and slowly make my way to the 'sale' section, then I get excited. I would buy a few tanks for 5 each, or maybe 10 each. That's ALL! I bought one of those summer dresses from a store here called "Bluenotes" for 7$!


- then I go home, and make those tanks and dress work. Put the dress under the cardigan, the tanks under a cardigan or over a long sleeve, or with a belt, or with beads... accessories are cheap, and great investments!




--> Go into store that sell good quality clothing for less. I KNOW ONE! I'm not sure what countries have this brand, but "JOE FRESH" ? I LOVE IT! People always tell me they would rather shop at the stores in the mall, but when I hear that, I know that they aren't fashionistas. I think to myself, "who are you to say that Joseph Mimran isn't a good enough designer? He's more achieved than the designers that design for the stores you shop at in the mall!" .. and they don't cost much either! If the cost is the same in Joe fresh as it is in the stores at the mall, I'd rather buy Joe Fresh.. any label my fav model Coco Rocha has walked for is good enough for me!




--> Buy tops that are very basic, so you can dress it up, or dress it down. Don't know how? accessories are key!
--> Make our money WORK:
for example:
Did you ever find the "vest" in Investment? (wow I'm good.. I'm copyrighting that! haha). It's proven below:






Set 1: wear it over a long sleeve - black and white is always chic, try it with a different color longsleeve any color will do including blue, or try it over a long sleeve with a lot of pattern on it - the vest breaks up the color on the shirt so you never feel like you're overdoing it.
Set 2: Wear it over a tank top (of course you wear a longsleeve underneath) - Wear it closed on a tank top if the tank isn't too loose, but if the tank is loose, wear it open - it makes you look like you're a fashionista who isn't trying too hard. Hijabifashionista tip: buttons aren't there to close the shirt, but to provide you with the option!
Set 3: Wear it with a formal top or dress : this makes a formal top, more casual. It's funny because this vest worn over a casual top will dress it up, but over a fancy top, will dress it down. : Those white blouses are just pleading for a vest or a cute necklace, that red dress doesn't want to sit in your closet all year so wear it over a longsleeve with the vest over it to make it everyday wear!, OR wear it over a bright formal top - the solid color is begging you to spice it up, and dress it down!
People won't be asking why you're wearing the same vest all the time, Sister you will look skilled!!!
Make your bit of money work for you sisters! <3>

No comments:

Post a Comment