Wednesday 8 October 2008

A HijabiFashionista DIY



So one of my fav things to do is look for different Do It Yourself projects. I sew a lot, and I always try to make clothing that I wouldn't find anywhere else -- i use my mother's old scarves from who - knows - when, and just put it under the sewing machine. I think, I could just buy that tee shirt, I'd rather make something different.
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO here's a DIY:
1)Take a tee shirt - like an extra large- (it doesn't have to be amazing like the one above, it can be your brother's undershirt -- like a creative director from HOLT catalougue said "here's a chance to borrow from the boys"--)
2)cut it along the top as if to make it a boat neck style top, let the edges be a little jagged and fold over - it's the style in it!
3) take a thick belt and wear it low on your torso, and over the top, leaving about 5 inches worth of the shirt to hang under it
4) pull some material of the shirt over the belt (not to cover it, but to let it hang just a little over it) leaving like, 3 inches of the bottom of the shirt to hang under the belt
5) top it off with a vest, or a cropped blazer
YAY! Isn't it fantastic??
I got this idea from a classmate. She was wearing one of those tee shirts that you can get from concerts or like a march for a cause... you know, the ones you don't want to wear but you buy just to support the cause? haha, you know it's true! Well, she cut off from the top of it and it looked like a regular top! Props for her!
HIJABIFASHIONISTA STORY TIME:
hehe
Today I wore something pretty bold to school (surprise surprise ). I had a pair of tall boots that I pulled down and folded over so they looked like ankle boots (I always do that! take it as another HF tip), and wore skinny jeans (before you comment...) but they didn't show much because I was wearing a dress I made that went under the calve-- almost to the top of the "ankle boot", and a black cardigan and a black hijab. It was really bold for my regular school outfit where I like to wear a nice top and jeans, but the reaction was PHENOMENAL. People appreciate it when you're bold. And I hella loved the attention. hah
<3>

No comments:

Post a Comment