Monday 18 May 2009

Fair trade Hijabi rockin' it indie!

For summer I haven't yet decided what look I'm going to rock. Of course I dress to my mood,but while summer 2009 runways are lined with models sporting athletic attire, clothing inspired by geometric shapes, glamour, and looks inspired by the economic meltdown and the depression of 1929, we fashionistas have our work cut out for us.  My purchases for the season are leaning towards boho and indie trends. 

Now believe me, I've been trying to capture indie fashion for a while now, but I'm only just getting it.  To exude indie fashion, go for the slouchy, clean but carefree look. Babydolls? No. Lose 'em. haha. i mean, save them for another day.

My last indie outfit: (yesterday)
gladiator sandals, black straight leg jeans, a vintage velvet blazer with gold embriodery worn over a dark green tank,  a black hijab worn over a high bun, and a thrift store purse. 


A few months back I decided all the jewlery I was going to buy was going to be either fair trade or second hand. It's really important that your purchases are supporting those who created them, not the middlemen. This way you'd be helping the worldwide fair trade movement which aims to help producers and farmers reach a financial self sustainability. So with this look, I included fair trade bangles and bracelets. We have a gorgeous fair trade shop here in Winnipeg, TenThousand Villages. You can check it out at tenthousandvillages.com. 
Other Fair trade shops can be searched at: globalexchange.org

No comments:

Post a Comment